Transfer Student Admissions
We welcome students seeking to transfer into UA from other colleges and universities. You probably have a lot of questions, and while some of the answers may vary depending on your situation, we want this website to be a useful resource in making your transition to The University of Alabama.
Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students
- 2.0 overall college GPA
- 24 transferable semester hours (excluding technical, remedial and vocational courses.)
- Transfer students with fewer than 24 hours must submit an official final high school transcript and an official ACT/SAT score.
Instructions for Applying
- Complete the UA application for admission.
- To be considered for scholarships, complete The University of Alabama application for scholarships by March 1.
- If you have earned fewer than 24 semester hours (36 quarter hours) when you apply to UA, have your final high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores sent to The University of Alabama.
- During your final term at your present college, have each collegiate institution you have attended forward one official transcript to The University of Alabama. Your academic division will evaluate your transcripts and determine how many credits can be applied to UA degree requirements.
You are strongly encouraged to have all admissions materials submitted by the following priority dates:
- Fall semester – March 1
- Spring semester – October 1
- Summer session – March 1
Transfer of Credits
Once a student is admitted credit evaluation information is posted to students’ myBama accounts.
For admission purposes, most grades are calculated in the GPA. Grades of WF, FA, I, and NC are converted to F. Up to 60 semester hours may be transferred from a community college. Rules for four-year institutions are set at the college level.
Bama Fast Pass
With Bama Fast Pass, you can prepare now for a successful transfer to The University of Alabama.
Our students can’t wait to show you around the school they proudly call home. Tours are available most weekdays and Saturdays.. Plan to book your tour well in advance of your trip, as certain dates fill up quickly. We also have a video-based webtour if you’re unable to visit campus.
UA offers a number of scholarships to students that have achieved academic and extracurricular excellence at Alabama community colleges and are transferring as a junior to UA. There are also a number of scholarships given to students that are members of Phi Theta Kappa at their community college.
There is designated housing for transfer students in the Bryce Lawn apartments. Transfer students may also choose to live in other buildings across campus. The housing application for transfer students opens on October 15 and can be accessed by going to myhousing.ua.edu
This semesters UA Transfer Day will be on October 4, 2019. Students will receive information specifically geared towards transfer students.
First Year Experience
First Year Experience is a program designed to smooth the academic and social transition to The University of Alabama. Any undergraduate student attending UA for the first time can participate.
Bama Dining provides different meal plan options for transfer students. Meal plans are not required for transfer students or upperclassmen, but they are available for students who want the convenience of dining on campus. Visit Bama Dining’s website for details and dining hall information.
The college experience is about more than what happens in the classroom. UA has more than 500 registered student organizations on campus; there is a place that’s right for you. Make sure to go to “Get on Board Day” at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters to find out more about student groups, meet members and see what different groups have to offer.
For exercising, or just having fun through intramural and club sports, our students enjoy four different campus recreation facilities. Adjacent to the main Student Recreation Center are 33 acres of outdoor fields for intramural play. Students can participate in organized group exercise classes, or do cardio or strength training on their own or with one of our personal trainers. Be sure to check out our 40-foot-tall climbing wall and our outdoor water park area with a lazy river and slides.