Newsletter for Winter 2014-2015
Thank you for visiting The University of Alabama’s High School Counselor Admissions Portal and November newsletter! This resource will allow you to stay updated with the latest information from our campus, including your students’ admissions statuses, scholarship opportunities as well as other news and deadlines for the remainder of the academic year. Our goal is to provide you with comprehensive access to information that will assist you when working with students.
If you have not yet created a counselor account with UA, you may do so by visiting myemtech.ua.edu. Once at the myemTech site, click “Register” in the top right corner and fill out the registration form with your information. Please note the following:
- The myemTech ID is where you set your own login, such as “jdoe” or “Jane Doe.”
- You will set your own password.
- Use your email address (we recommend your school email address) for the Bama Email Address section.
Be sure to select “HS Counselor” as the account type. Once you have completed the form, your account will be created in 1-3 UA business days. To update information you may have received earlier this fall, we now offer the capability for multiple counselors to establish accounts at your high school. Once registered, you no longer need to re-register at the beginning of each academic year.
Incoming Freshman Class
The University of Alabama is excited to announce that enrollment has reached a record high of 36,155 students, a 3.7% increase from fall 2013. The student body includes 30,754 undergraduates and 5,401 graduate students. Our incoming freshman class has quite a few reasons to be proud, including:
- An average ACT score of 26.1, the highest in school history
- More than 2,100 freshmen with a score of 30 or greater on the ACT, placing them in the top 5% of students who take the exam
- An average GPA of 3.65
- 135 National Merit Scholars and 20 National Achievement Scholars
We are excited more students are discovering what opportunities are available to them at The University of Alabama and choosing UA for their collegiate careers.
Scholarship Deadline Reminder
As the end of the fall semester approaches, so does the scholarship deadline for UA. Students who wish to be considered for scholarships must submit all admissions materials and their completed scholarship applications to UA by December 15. The scholarship application may be accessed via a student’s myBama account 2-3 UA business days after submitting the admissions application. Although UA does not superscore ACT or SAT scores, we will accept the best score from one sitting. The last exams we will accept for scholarship consideration are the December ACT and SAT. Final scholarship offers are mailed to recipients in March.
Please note that The University of Alabama offers very generous scholarship packages to National Merit and National Achievement Scholars. National Merit or National Achievement Semi-finalists who are admitted to UA with a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive the Presidential Scholarship, which pays the value of tuition (in-state or out-of-state, as applicable) for four years or eight semesters. Students must have a complete application on file by December 15 of their senior year in high school to receive this award.
National Merit or National Achievement Finalists who list The University of Alabama as their college of choice with the National Merit Corporation by May 1, 2015, will receive the following:
- Value of tuition (in-state or out-of-state, as applicable) for up to 5 years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate studies
- One year of on-campus housing at regular room rate (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
- A $3,500 per year Merit/Achievement Scholarship stipend for four years. A student must maintain at least a 3.3 GPA to continue receiving this scholarship stipend. If a corporate-sponsored scholarship from the National Merit Corporation is received, the total value cannot exceed $3,500. (For example, if you receive a corporate-sponsored scholarship of $2,000 per year, UA will contribute $1,500 per year to reach the total stipend amount of $3,500.)
- One-time allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
Enrollment Process – First Steps
Once a student has been admitted to UA, he/she may begin the next steps in the enrollment process. At this time, the following steps are available for completion by admitted students:
- Freshman Enrollment Deposit: $200 non-refundable tuition pre-payment. Deposits may be submitted online through the student’s myBama account. Deadline for payment is May 1. Upon completion of this step, students may begin the housing application process.
- Housing: As of October 1, admitted students who successfully submitted their enrollment deposit may submit their housing applications ($25 fee) and deposit ($275). First-year undergraduate students enrolled full-time are required to live in campus residence halls. Housing preference is first-come, first-serve and the residence hall housing contract may be completed at housing.ua.edu. Students who cancel their housing contracts in writing by May 1 may receive a refund of $275, and $175 by June 1. A roommate finder is also available on the housing website.
In the spring, students who have applied for housing may register for an orientation session.
In keeping with our tradition of producing cutting-edge research, The University of Alabama has launched a new digital forensics crime lab. This lab exists as a joint partnership with the Department of Criminal Justice and local law enforcement agencies, not only assisting law enforcement officials with processing cybercrime information, but also allowing UA students to study cybercrime first-hand. Student internships are expected to begin January 2015. (More information)
Campus Visit Reminder
We strongly encourage prospective students and their families to visit campus. Below are several options available:
- Official campus tours: UA offers official campus tours Monday-Friday and most Saturdays. Tours last approximately 2 hours and include a bus/walking tour of campus, residence hall tour, and information session. Available times and registration options are available at gobama.ua.edu/visits.
- In-Depth Visits: Students who wish to visit on a weekday may contact their recruiters to schedule a personalized visit of campus. To find the recruiter for your area, please visit gobama.ua.edu/staff.
- University Days programs: These open houses are offered several times throughout the academic year, with 3 programs scheduled for this upcoming spring. Students must register for the events online at universitydays.ua.edu.
- Virtual Tour: Those unable to visit campus or who would like a refresher from a previous visit may view our online tour at gobama.ua.edu/webtour.