Newsletter for February 2014
Welcome to the High School Counselor Admissions Portal and Winter Newsletter! From here, you can find the latest information about your student’s admission and scholarship applications, as well as news, dates and deadlines for the Fall 2014 semester. As a reminder, Student Status Check accounts are valid for one year and expired on June 30th. If you created an account last academic year, you will need to re-register and be verified. You may create an account individually or opt to share one account with authorized users of your school’s counseling department.
Enrollment Checklist for Entering Freshman
- Priority Admissions Consideration: Students should submit the application for admission, the $40 application fee, and any required documents to Undergraduate Admissions by February 10th for priority consideration. The original date of February 1st was extended to February 10th due to school closures resulting from severe weather.
- Freshman Enrollment Deposit: Upon admission, students may submit their $200 non-refundable enrollment deposit (fall tuition pre-payment). Deposits may be submitted online through their myBama account. Deadline for payment is May 1st.
- Housing: First year undergraduate students enrolled as full-time students will be required to live in campus residence halls. Students should complete the residence hall housing contract at housing.ua.edu and submit the $300 housing application fee and prepayment to Housing and Residential Communities by the preferred deadline of April 1st. Students who submit their housing contract and prepayment by February 1st will have access to online room selection, which will begin in May. Students who cancel housing contracts in writing prior to May 1st may receive a refund of $275 of the $300 housing deposit.
- Orientation: Students are able to register for Bama Bound Orientation after submitting their Freshman Enrollment Deposit, as well as housing application and prepayment. Registration for 2014 Bama Bound Orientation will be available online in February and will cost $120.
- Financial Aid: Students interested in applying for financial assistance should have a completed FAFSA on file by March 1st. The Office of Student Financial Aid provides need-based assistance through grants, loans, and student employment. Financial aid award notifications will begin in early spring.
As National Merit and Achievement Finalists begin receiving notifications, please contact our Scholarship Department to let them know so that their scholarship package can reflect their change in status. National Merit and National Achievement Finalists who have not applied yet are still able to apply and receive the National Merit Finalist or National Achievement Finalist scholarship package. If you have students who are named Finalists and had not previously considered UA, please have them contact their local recruiter so that they can learn more about the scholarship opportunities. All finalists must designate The University of Alabama as their first choice with National Merit Corporation by May 1st in order to receive the National Merit Finalist or National Achievement Finalist scholarship package.
All students receiving scholarship offers will be notified in March.
Greek Preview Day
The UA Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council (IFC) invites all high school senior women and men interested in joining a sorority or fraternity in Fall 2014 at the University of Alabama to attend Greek Preview Day on Saturday, March 8, 2014. Both sorority registration and fraternity registration are available online.
Be sure to check the admissions travel schedule periodically for when a recruiter may be in your area. All college fairs for individual recruiters are updated throughout the spring and listed on each recruiter’s profile page. If you have an opportunity for a UA representative to be part of a panel discussion/college night program hosted by your high school, please contact your local recruiter.
UA is scheduled to open a new Digital Media Center in March 2014. The Digital Media Center, located within Bryant-Denny Stadium, will be one of the largest teaching centers of its type in the nation, relying on a teaching-hospital type environment. The state-of-the-art facility will house WVUA-TV, the Center for Public Television and Radio, Alabama Public Radio and Crimson Tide Productions.
The University would like to invite you and your counseling department to visit campus for a tour. If you are interested in a counselor visit, be sure to contact your recruiter to help facilitate this process. High school spring breaks are a wonderful time to see campus!